Re: [ontac-forum] Type vs. Class - last chance to vote.

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: richard murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 20:31:47 -0500
Hi Pat:    (01)

A few points from a respectful student of all the great work going on
here. I'm getting an education money can't buy here at ONTAC and thanks
to all who contribute to this list.    (02)

I'm with Chris Menzel and Michael Gruninger even without the CL axioms.    (03)

rdf:type means something different than Type in Information Flow speak
and I think semiotics as well. I don't know anything about OpenCyc, but
I'm guessing that Collection must mean something different than
rdfs:Class because the RDF Schema differentiates class from collection.    (04)

See http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-schema/#ch_type    (05)

More importantly, it seems to me like we're at the meta-level of solving
a recurring problem and there's a pattern here and maybe a pattern
language to evolve: language, logic, theory, and model. Seems like we're
still faced with symbolic representation in different languages that
require truth mappings to the conceptualizations they represent.    (06)

Also, I think it's a useful development that we're voting. Have we
considered adopting the Apache voting approach?    (07)

http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html    (08)

--
Best wishes,    (09)

Rick    (010)