Re: [ontac-forum] Theories, Models, Reasoning, Language, and Truth

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: richard murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 21:05:24 -0500
Hi John:    (01)

Thanking you in advance for an education money can't buy. A couple of
questions:    (02)

JS > Basic classification of signs:

 >   * Mark — any pattern in any modality that someone
 >     or something is capable of perceiving.
 >
 >   * Token — a classification of some mark as an instance
 >     of some type.
 >
 >   * Type — a general pattern associated with some schema
 >     or rule for classifying and relating the marks in the
 >     environment.    (03)

What's the relationship between Types and Tokens in Peirce's semiotics?
Mark seems a little like conception from "On a New List of Categories",
but not exactly. Are you making this easier for folks like me, or is
there a direct reference to mark in The Essential Peirce (TEP). I've
been browsing TEP for a few years now and it would be great to have a
mentor!    (04)

 > JS>> Incoming signals that impinge on our nerve endings are signs.
 >
 > BS> what are they just before they impinge?    (05)

ok, I was going to say interpretant. I'm trying to understand the text,
but it seems like interpretants are "end of the line" conceptions.    (06)

See On a New List of Categories, #10    (07)

"Now they are not brought to unity until we conceive them together as
being ours, that is, until we refer them to a conception as their
interpretant. Thus the reference to an interpretant arises upon the
holding together of diverse impressions, and therefore does not join a
conception to the substance, as the other two references do, but unites
directly the manifold of the substance itself. It is therefore the last
conception in order in passing from being to substance."    (08)

*WOW* Whaddaya expect from a guy who can't spell his own last name.
That's it for this weekend, I need a beer!    (09)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.    (010)

--
Best wishes,    (011)

Rick    (012)

email:  rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx