RE: [ontac-forum] Theories, Models, Reasoning, Language, and Truth

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Lichtblau, Dale" <Del@xxxxxxx>
From: "Lichtblau, Dale" <Del@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 21:23:57 -0500

John:

Re: Your response to Azmat

Is your definition of "sign" stipulative, lexical, theoretical, precising, or what? Do you have any empirical evidence for your theory of the meaning of the word "sign"?

Are you saying anything other than that we (or any "sentient...lowly...bacterium") "experience" the "real (noumenal) world" via perceptions of one sort or another (visual, aural, etc.) and that these "perceptions" are all just "signs"? Are there intermediate "signs" that mediate these signs...and so forth...all the way down? Is there really any value to (re)defining the (admittedly slippery) word "sign" to mean "everything we perceive"?

Regards,
Dale