RE: [ontac-forum] Theories, Models, Reasoning, Language, and Truth

To: "Chris Menzel" <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>, "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Lichtblau, Dale" <Del@xxxxxxx>
From: "Lichtblau, Dale" <Del@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:52:16 -0500

Chris:

Thanks for your very cogent response (vis-a-vis models vs. theories) (on behalf of John Sowa).

My only remaining question is your claim that: "A *model* of
a theory...in which "0" is interpreted to mean the number 0, [usw--apologies to Paul for the German--yes, the Janik/Toulmin book is wonderful, I have a 1973 1sr edition]". So, the number 0 is in the real world, there's a theory of the real world that denotes the entities of that world via a certain "sign" (i.e., "0"), and there's a "model" that is the "mapping" between the "theory" and the "real world"? Is this right? So a model is just the "mapping"?

I (vaguely) remember doing Henkin-style proofs (of completeness) in modal logic back in the early '70s. The black-board sketches of possible worlds and accessibility relationsips between them were the "model(s)" that served to prove the completeness of the underlying modal logic (T, S4, S5, etc.)? (I guess I never thought deeply enough at the time into the relationship between those "models" and the "theories" there were intended to validate.)

Regards,
Dale
Institute for Defense Analyese