Re: [ontac-forum] Theories, Models, Reasoning, Language, and Truth

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 16:06:58 -0500
Paul,    (01)

The whole point of the lattice of theories is to provide
a systematic method for classifying all theories and showing
how they are related to one another.    (02)

 > I assume that these theories might have terminological
 > inconsistencies with other theories, and that two theories
 > might exist that were founded on very different assumptions.    (03)

Yes. That is one of the reasons for organizing them in a
lattice:  if the infimum of two theories is the absurd
type at the bottom, they are inconsistent with one another.
Otherwise, they are consistent, and their infimum is a
a common specialization.    (04)

John    (05)