Re: [ontac-forum] Rule Interchange Format group

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: richard murphy <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 19:08:32 -0500
Hi Chris, Patrick D. & All (except Paul):    (01)

CM> **Technical note: As it happens, the set of criteria used to assess what
 > they call expressiveness there is an amalgam of expressiveness in the
 > purely logical sense -- which, very roughly put, is used to situate
 > where a given logic stands vis-a-vis first-order logic -- and also what
 > might be called "built-in" expressiveness, which has to do with the
 > semantic primitives that a KR framework includes, e.g., classes, or
 > numbers, and how much one can say about them in that framework.  Both
 > types of expressiveness can be measured in rigorous and well-understood
 > ways using the tools of modern mathematical logic.    (02)

yep, this is definitely baked into the ODM analysis and it's important
to read the whole recipe. I'm shopping for all the ingredients here:    (03)

http://suo.ieee.org/IFF/metalevel/lower/ontology/ontology/version20021205.htm    (04)

Chris, any other good references to how to unravel the "built-in"
expressiveness? I suspect this is off the radar screen for W3C rules
folks, but yes it's important as we develop the UF.    (05)

Before we were distracted, I asked an important question that should
reveal another important principle of our UF.    (06)

RM > So, if we accept your assertion Chris, that TopicMaps are
underpowered for a RIF, shouldn't we also ask what it means to be
sufficiently powered and overpowered; and under what conditions an
infomorphism respects local logics in a distributed system?    (07)

Chris, I'm hoping we hear back from Patrick D. with a counter example to
your assertion. Using information flow speak, I can imagine some rules
engine executing a sound and complete local logic in a proximal
classification with constraints on types and normal tokens connected
through the channel to a distal classification. Then again the counter
to the counter is: the closer the local logic is to the complete theory
of the system, the more information flows.    (08)

But Patrick might argue something different ...    (09)

BTW - By the time you've read this I've instructed the aliens to abduct
Paul so we can get on with the great work of this community. Actually,
the aliens are really government agents disguised as aliens - who ever
woulda' thunk - plausible deniability works every time. But I'll never
admit it 'cause I'm part of the conspiracy. ;)    (010)

--
Best wishes,    (011)

Rick    (012)

email:  rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx