RE: [ontac-forum] Neutrality Principle

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: richard.murphy@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 12:47:44 -0500

Barry, Pat & All:

What Cory's explaining in terms of his modeling challenge in Semantic Core has been formalized in the theory of information flow. Information flow, or channel theory provides a formal definition of context - there called classification and also known as Chu Spaces - as " A classification A = < A, SA, |=A> consists of a set A of objects to be classified called tokens of A, a set SA of  objects used to classify the tokens, called the types of A, and a binary relation |= between A and SA that tells one which tokens are classified as being of which types. "  See Barwise and Seligman.

Classifications are more than arbitrary, they're valuable applications of John Sowa's principle of modularity in the UF.

Best wishes,

Rick

office: 202-501-9199
cell: 202-557-1604

"Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ontac-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

11/28/2005 10:05 AM
Please respond to
"ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

"ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject

At 02:22 PM 11/28/2005, you wrote:
>This is the way I have started to approach context; Contextual statements
>can be made, for example, OWL-Full by allowing statements about statements.
>Given a class of context and an instance "car" we would have statements
>about "steering wheel".  "steering wheel" and associated axioms are "in the
>context of" "car" (none exclusively).  The same relation would hold for
>statements in the context of "Cyc" (Or some Cyc microtheory).  A computation
>done outside of the context of Cyc would then not include those statements.
>In the problems I was facing in merging forms of _expression_ for
>architectures as well as for expressing the often conflicting architectures
>them selves (and reasoning about them), context seems necessary.  It also
>seems necessary for extremely common concepts.

For example?

>  It would also seem a way to
>get around the inevitable "single truth" conflicts and arguments that arise
>when all things are absolutely true all the time.

My suspicion is that it is a too easy way (analogous to the
teenager's cry "Well, it's true for ME").

BS