RE: [ontac-forum] Neutrality Principle

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: richard.murphy@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:52:45 -0500

Matther & All:

Despite John's unique position on neutrality, I still support the neutrality principle for the UF ! yuk, yuk, yuk ... Seriously, we're all committed, passionate individuals whose work together will move this field forward despite an occasional faux pas. Wait 'til you see me and Cory go at it!

The principles of modularization, parameterization, negotiation, alignment, and unification add the broad perspective that prevents the UF from degenerating to the trivial case Matthew describes below.

There's a common language we all share: logic, theory, model, morphism, interpretation, type, token, classification, relation ... How we understand each other and formalize this common language is our challenge.

Best wishes,

Rick

office: 202-501-9199
cell: 202-557-1604

"West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ontac-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
11/27/2005 05:27 PM GMTPlease respond to"ONTAC-WG General Discussion"

To   "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
bcc  Richard C. Murphy/IAA/CO/GSA/GOV
Subject  RE: [ontac-forum] Neutrality Principle

Dear John,

Are you aware just how small the UF really is?

I have:

Thing

    Individual
    A thing that exists in space-time (or space and time).
    Note: This needs to be broad enough to encompass 4D
    possible individuals in possible universes, and 3D
    occurants.

    Class
    A thing that has members.
    Note: This needs to be weak enough to allow 3D classes
    to change their membership over time and 4D classes that
    are defined by their extent.

    Tuple

I don't think there is much more that is really common.

Take something like pump. In a 4D ontology this would be
represented by a set (unchanging membership) of spatio-
temporal extents. In a 3D ontology the members are
occurants. Now you could of course have a class that was
the superclass of these two, but you wouldn't get a sensible
answer from it for how many pumps there are. (Actually it
would probably make more sense to have a class of pump classes).

I did think there might be some common ground around activity,
but it seems not. A 4D activity has as parts temporal parts of
its participants. A 3D activity, although spatio-temporal, has
occurants as participants that do not have temporal parts.

Do you see a way out of this?

Regards

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

Community Wiki: http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG