RE: [ontac-forum] Neutrality Principle

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 17:27:42 -0000
Dear John,    (01)

Are you aware just how small the UF really is?    (02)

I have:    (03)

Thing    (04)

  Individual
  A thing that exists in space-time (or space and time).
  Note: This needs to be broad enough to encompass 4D
  possible individuals in possible universes, and 3D
  occurants.    (05)

  Class
  A thing that has members.
  Note: This needs to be weak enough to allow 3D classes
  to change their membership over time and 4D classes that
  are defined by their extent.    (06)

  Tuple    (07)

I don't think there is much more that is really common.    (08)

Take something like pump. In a 4D ontology this would be
represented by a set (unchanging membership) of spatio-
temporal extents. In a 3D ontology the members are
occurants. Now you could of course have a class that was
the superclass of these two, but you wouldn't get a sensible
answer from it for how many pumps there are. (Actually it
would probably make more sense to have a class of pump classes).    (09)

I did think there might be some common ground around activity,
but it seems not. A 4D activity has as parts temporal parts of
its participants. A 3D activity, although spatio-temporal, has
occurants as participants that do not have temporal parts.    (010)

Do you see a way out of this?    (011)

Regards    (012)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (013)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (014)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (015)