RE: [ontac-forum] Surveyed Ontology "Library" Systems

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Barry Smith <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:17:11 -0400
Responding to Roy    (01)

>I would submit that a specific name of a place is a location.    (02)

This cannot be right. "Oxford" is a name. Oxford is a place. The
former is a name of a location; it is not itself a location.    (03)

>Examples of such
>places, relevant to the users of the place name (i.e., part of their
>relative vocabulary and their individual and related group contexts)
>this would be: home, the office, the school, Mary's, grandma's, the
>store, the target).  These conceptual locations would have no
>global/larger/absolute meaning unless the vocabulary and contextual
>meaning of the user was known.    (04)

By 'conceptual location' I think you mean locations specified via
phrases which have contextually dependent meanings. If so, then these
are of course not special kinds of locations -- any more than a
person whose name referred to by a nickname is a special kind of person.    (05)

BS    (06)