RE: [ontac-forum] Surveyed Ontology "Library" Systems

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Adam Pease <apease@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:37:30 -0700
Joyce,
   This is an excellent point.  If folks could provide definitions in
logic, better yet with respect to an existing logical framework, we
could have a more informed discussion.
   In SUMO, we have the "names" relation that relates strings and
Entity(s)
<http://sigma.ontologyportal.org:4010/sigma/Browse.jsp?lang=en&kb=SUMO&term=refers>,    (01)

as well as GeographicalRegion(s)
<http://sigma.ontologyportal.org:4010/sigma/Browse.jsp?kb=SUMO&lang=en&term=GeographicArea>.
   Barry's point is a good one though, I think.  We often use names
in the context of discourse to have rather complex logical meanings
that are filled in by human interpretation.  We should be careful to
keep such linguistic processing separate from how we describe the
world in an ontology.  We might say "I'm going to Grandma's place."
but it would be pretty questionable to code a class of all places
owned by my grandmother.  The phrase contains what is really an
indexical expression to an actual location, that might best be
described as a Building
<http://sigma.ontologyportal.org:4010/sigma/Browse.jsp?kb=SUMO&lang=en&term=Building>    (02)

having a certain ownership, address etc.    (03)

Adam    (04)

At 07:27 AM 10/25/2005, Joyce.Koeneman@xxxxxxx wrote:
>The name of a location is just a word.  The location is a geographical
>or political area, a spatial concept.  No matter what you call it.  This
>is the  problem with most discussions of ontology.  Entities must be
>defined beyond the verbage used to label them.
>
>Joyce W. Koeneman
>Digital Librarian and Head Tech Services
>National Transportation Library
>202.366.4203
>joyce.koeneman@xxxxxxx

Adam Pease