ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes

To: "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:43:40 -0500
Matthew,    (01)

Re: MW: So we might reasonably conclude that there are three major
categories (sorry types) of thing, types, relationships, individuals.
If we were very lucky, we might even agree that these were mutually
exclusive, but that may be pushing my luck.    (02)

I am OK with "thing" as the thing that includes everything distinguishable
from other things.  How would you then distinguish individual?
As for "individual" and "type" being disjoint, it depends on the semantics
of the non-type things.  I explicitly need to allow for meta-circularity,
types of types, axioms about types, etc.  Even very grounded things like
"part category" have features as well as instances, the direct
representation of such a concept is an identifiable thing as well as a type
that has instances.  Of course, the same is true of "rabbit" as a species.
(We do love our Rabbits holes).    (03)

-Cory    (04)