ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes

To: "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:58:33 -0500
Matthew,
Please see in-line.    (01)

[[CBC] ] Since this is the most general concept and it is the most general
concept we are looking for - yes.    (03)

> > > MW: The similarity you see [in 3d and 4d] is because it is
> > the same real
> > world
> > > phenomena that accounts are being given of. But one says physical
> > > objects are extended in time and the other says they are not. So
> > > the accounts are clearly not compatible. What I would expect is that
> > > it is relatively easy to map between them though. So a state of a
> > > 4D extent at a point in time can be mapped to a 3D object as it
> > > passes through (is indexed at) that same point in time.
> >
> > [cbc] Yes, so, they are different aspects of the same
> > individuals that can
> > be mapped.
>
> MW: NO! They are different concepts (to use a dangerous word) of what
> an individual is. Each would have all the aspects that are possible.    (04)

 [[CBC] ] Agree, we are saying the same thing.  Different "aspects of" are
the different concepts, of the same individual, represented by types.    (05)

> > Why are we having such trouble with this?
> > Perhaps because we are trying to pick one aspect as dominant?
>
> MW: Probably. That at least is what I am trying to avoid.
> >

> > > MW: That looks closer to how I would see things, but I suspect
> > > you just get different arguments. (By the way it is safer to use
> > > individual when you mean things existing in space-time, types
> > > can be instances of other types).
> >
> > [cbc] As we can type conceptual entities and types are concepts in our
> > world,
>
> MW: No. Types exist. We discover (or invent) them. Concepts are how we
> externalise that discovery/invention.
[[CBC] ] I don't want to go down this rabbit hole.  Could we say the thingie
we are naming is the concept of a type?    (06)

> > I would expect types to be individuals.
>
> MW: Why? They exist outside of space-time. Individuals are things that
> exist inside space-time.
[[CBC] ] These seem like unnecessary and troublesome restrictions about some
"space-time" frame of reference - what I thought you were trying to avoid.
The type concepts "form-674", "love", "asset", "obligation", "France",
"ONTAC" or "rabbit", invented or natural have a life-cycle in time (but not
necessarily space).  You can make statements about it.  We are talking about
one now - it has an identity ("it" is an it).  It has a name.  It is an
individual.  It is "type".  Anything you can distinguish from any other
thing is an individual.