ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 08:28:40 -0000
Dear Cory,    (01)

See below.    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (04)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

MW: I would rather say that we are setting out the particular requirements
our different core ontologies have. You correctly notice that there is not
one sense of type we would agree on, though there is something more lightly
constrained that perhaps both of us could build from. But do note that this
is the level at which 3D and 4D ontologies part company.    (07)

> We need to have
> a methodology
> that admits valid concepts into our Ontology, not argue about
> ultimate truth
> and attempt to ban all other modes of thought.    (08)

MW: The problem of course is that both Barry and I would not admit that
some of the others concepts were valid in a single ontology. This is why
John's lattice of theories needs to be an important part of what is
done so that these inconsistent ontologies can be related to each other
(rather than merged - which just doesn't work).

> This has to do with JS's minimal axioms in the core, but it
> also has to do
> with recognizing properly distinct concepts and NOT trying to
> "own" the cool
> general words.      (09)

MW: I agree about the minimum axioms. As to "owning" cool words, as far as
I can see what we have done so far is vote that we will use the word "type"
without having said what we will use it for. We need some axioms to tie it
down a bit (but there can still be problems of different interpretations).

> Phrases like "Hurricane Rita's sustained winds have increased
> to 85 mph,
> making it a Category 1 hurricane" show that there are
> concepts of things
> (and types) in a 3d sense, but the concept of "Hurricane
> Rita" in 4d exists
> as well, it certainly exists for Matthew.  Not the same
> concept.  Both are
> concepts that exist, both are specializations of a more
> general concept of
> type.    (010)

MW: If there were 3D objects, but there aren't, only 4D ones (at least
according to a 4 Dimensionalist account). So both of them cannot be contained
in a single consistent theory (Barry cuts and pastes the bits he likes from
3D and 4D for different parts of his ontology).    (011)

MW: This is where the lattice comes into its own. It allows you to collect the
objects and axioms of a 4D ontology into one place, and a 3D ontology in another
place in such a way that anything that is shared can be.

> Likewise the "natural types" are a foundation of science, but
> certainly not
> the only kinds that exist.  Why must we exclude the others?    (012)

MW: Barry is just as entitled to exclude things he does not like from his
ontology
as I am. Indeed we both need to exclude some things or else they won't work.

> The argument seems to be an attempt to own the word, not
> define the concept.    (013)

MW: No it has really been exploring the different pre-conceptions we have
of what the term should represent - since nothing was provided when we voted
on what term to use.    (014)

> Lets put qualifiers on these more specific concepts and let
> the experts
> provide the axioms that differentiate them.    (015)

MW: I think we need something at the top that is about having members/instances
and is agnostic about whether membership changes over time. Both Barry and I
are interested in things that are more restricted than that, but in different
ways, that I expect you have picked up are incompatible.

> Finally, we understand that multiple dimensions of context
> can change how a
> concept is interpreted and therefore axiomized.  Local truth
> is more common
> than global truth.      (016)

MW: I just plain disagree with this. There is nothing local about either
3 Dimensionalism or 4 Dimensionalism. Both are capable of supporting other
"local" views. They compete to be a theory of the underlying reality.    (017)

> When there is a substantially different
> way of looking
> at the same concept, lets just separate this into a context
> and, again, let
> the experts create he axioms that define and differentiate
> that context.    (018)

MW: If we stop talking about a context and start talking about a node
in the lattice that collects the different theories each ontology uses
into one place, then you have the right idea.    (019)

MW: We also need to add the mapping that allows you to translate from one
ontology to another.

> So if we combine 3 tools we can, perhaps overcome the
> problems of some of
> the prior efforts;
> * Minimal axioms in the core
> * Differentiate concepts aggressively and as part of our method
> * Apply context to select more specific axioms    (020)

MW: Nearly right (see immediately above on context).

> -Cory

ordinatingWG    (021)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (022)