ontac-dev

Categorization (was RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes)

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Charles D Turnitsa <CTurnits@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:21:55 -0500
Not sure how well this will be received, and the idea is not 100% mature,
but I've been playing with (what appears to be) a useful set of definitions
for type, class and set.    (01)

Type - a categorization of entities (both objects and process), where
similar instances are grouped together based on some common (agreed to)
organizing concept agreed to by the users of the domain.  A simplistic
example might be - In the domain of animals there is a type known as
"Mammal", all of the instances of that type share the same properties that
conversants in the domain think of as being definitional of Mammals.    (02)

Class - a categorization of entities (objects and process, types and
instances) that are grouped together to serve some semantic or grammatical
purpose.  In a grammar, of course, you have a number of non-terminal
symbols that represent "things" from your language that serve a useful role
in the grammar (nouns, verbs, pronouns) in different situations.  This is
what I'm thinking of here.  Classes are important for establishing rulesets
(such as grammars) on the contents of your ontology.  For instance, "the
class of all objects, types and instances, that can be related to location
X at time Y".    (03)

Sets - any other ad hoc categorization that a conversant within the domain
of the ontology wishes to make.  For instance, the set of all animals that
a young girl thinks are cute.  Or the set of all governmental agencies that
might be interested in funding Ontology research.  : )    (04)

By my definition, the categorization that I refer to as Type belongs within
a formal ontology.  The categorization that I refer to as Class is used by
the rules of discourse that a conversant in the ontology's domain might
use.  And the categorization that I refer to as set are just convenient
methods of grouping things together as the conversant sees fit.    (05)

Chuck    (06)

Charles Turnitsa
Lab Manager/Project Scientist
Virginia Modeling, Analysis & Simulation Center
Old Dominion University Research Foundation
7000 College Drive
Suffolk, Virginia 23435
(757) 638-6315 (voice)
(757) 686-6214 (fax)