soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] Hosting of SOA-CoP Demo Portal/Registry

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andrew S. Townley" <andrew.townley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 15:06:57 +0000

SourceForge recently got a face-lift which helped the usability of some
of the tools a little, but only by a little.  I'm not sure that there is
a jBoss solution for all of these things out of the box, but I could be
wrong.    (01)

Depending on what the model is, I would think it would make sense to
collaborate as much as possible with shared source, etc.  You want that
somewhere that isn't going to go away, and since this is a US Government
sponsored initiative, maybe it does make sense to put it on a .gov
address.    (02)

Most of the SourceForge projects I have participated in only used a
portion of the capabilities provided.  What I've generally found and
observed to be most useful is the set of three *-announce *-user and
*-dev mailing lists for handling both the support and general
questions.  The file distribution is probably the most useful.    (03)

The build process may not be since I'm guessing we're going to be using
several non-open source tools which would need to be installed
individually or otherwise wouldn't be available on the build
environment.  If anyone is going to field a C#/.NET/BTF solution, these
aren't available on the SF compile farm, and OSS CLR implementations
alone will only get you so far (even if Mono is quite complete).    (04)

Depending on the number of participants actually writing code, it might
make sense to use a distributed version control system like bazaar-ng,
monotone or darcs rather than CVS since it allows more flexibility.  Of
course, the down side to that is that not many people have much
experience with this model--unless you're a regular contributor or to
the Linux kernel, and even that model isn't quite the same. :)    (05)

However, the main advantage of bazaar-ng, for example, is that you can
make repositories available by any protocol since it's just a file
structure which contains the complete revision history and source
repository.  It is also easier to support "experimental" changes against
the main-line code branch in a distributed VCS than something like CVS
or Subversion.  I'm using bazaar-ng as an example simply because it's
the DVCS that I'm most familiar with, but it's probably not ready for
something like this.  Development is pretty active right now, but some
of the others are a little more stable and support the same principles.
Mostly just a few thoughts on how we could support the most efficient
distributed development collaboration.    (06)

Either way, we're going to need some sort of portal/content hosting,
documentation, mailing list and file distribution support.  I know there
are integrated packages which are open source, but I have no first-hand
experience with them.  My experience with SourceForge is as both as a
project maintainer and contributor, however I have no strong opinion
either way.    (07)

Hope this helps,    (08)

ast    (09)

--
Join me in Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 8-10th when I will be speaking at
InfoSeCon 2006.  For more information, see www.infosecon.org.    (010)

Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is
unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any
review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this
message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies
thereof from your system.