Re: [ontac-forum] Problems of ontology

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 23:27:48 +0300

AA> ... knowledge machines with the built-in [open world] common ontology
 > framework [context], a single code of fundamental standards, principles,
 > rules, and laws, suggesting a broad, integrated model of things
 > in the world.    (01)

JS > That is possible, provided that the framework is "sufficiently
vague" -- such as the dictionaries and encyclopedias designed
for human consumption.  I have no quarrels with that, but it
should not be confused with what people call "formal ontology."    (02)

JS > Summary:  Global agreement is possible for vague things like
WordNet ..., in which most of the axioms
are omitted.  Interoperability on the details must always be
specified at the level of one or more microtheories.    (03)

These arguments seem more appealing, if only as 'vagueness' you don't mean
'ambiguity' (a plurality of meanings for the same word), but rather
'equivocation', when two things may be marked by the same word but two
different definitions. For, as you know, the same word (term) can be applied
equivocally but without ambiguity; namely:
1. with its explicit meaning (literally)  or secondary meaning (figuratively
or metaphorically );
2. now in a more generic, now in a more specific meaning;
3. intrinsically (signifying the inherent properties of an entity) or
extrinsicaly (signifying a relationship that the entity may have to other
things).    (04)

Such sort of vageness is allowed and can be mastered by an [open world]
unified ontology framework, also serving as an underlying semantic context
designed to repair ambiguity and clarify the equivocal vagueness but not
[vague forms of speech passing for mysteries of science].    (05)

Regards,
Azamat Abdoullaev    (06)