RE: [ontac-forum] Problems of ontology

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peterson, Eric" <EPeterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 09:47:37 -0400
Hi John;

Reconciling upper ontologies is certainly not for the faint of heart.  I was not a trivial task to reconcile and combine the event models of HPKB Cyc and IODE.  But once I studied and deeply understood each model, I was able to make a small number of fixes to each artifact.  The models then slid together with a few taps of the mallet.  OK, it was actually a rather iterative process ;^)

I find that the act of reconcilations is the ultimate test for correctness of the respective artifacts.

I should mention that I did use some immuno-supressive drugs on Cyc.  I didn't have time to worry about its meta-types so I temporarily ripped them out.  So my merged artifact has the Cyc collections (classes) that I used as being all instances of some rather general IODE class (metaclass).  I certainly believe in the logical correctness of meta-types and hyper-meta-types (turtles all the way down), I just don't find them that useful for my present tasks.

So my merging phylosophy involves starting by merging the parts that one really needs and "fixing" the nits in both artifacts that prevent merging.  One of the "fixes" was actually not a fix but a change of a temporal definition of one to agree with the other.  I made time points intervals in the IODE definitions.  IODE had a perfectly reasonable defintion, but I would have to change much more in Cyc to get it to agree with IODE.  Ontlogy Works has been very cooperative and supportive of the effort.

Note, please, that I am not merging to prove that we can all join hands and merge.  I simply need many more definitions than I presenly have and I find it very cost effective to grab definitions from Cyc.  I occasionally need to fix them.  This upper ontology allignment is simply a means of making it easier to import Cyc content into IODE.

Best,

-Eric Peterson