Re: [ontac-forum] Problems of ontology

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 12:12:18 -0400
Eric,    (01)

That is essentially what I am recommending:    (02)

 > I simply need many more definitions than I presently have and
 > I find it very cost effective to grab definitions from Cyc.    (03)

What I am proposing is a collection of theories organized by
generalization and specialization.    (04)

Whenever you grab definitions from Cyc, you create a new theory
that is a subset of the theory from which you grabbed them.
As a subset, that theory is a *contraction* of the original.
Then by *expansion*, you add more axioms to specialize the
theory to the one that is appropriate for your task.  Those
are the basic operators of theory revision.    (05)

Bundy et al. were also suggesting some operators that were
different from the usual AGM operators of adding and deleting
axioms.  They also modified the representation by changing
the signature of various predicates (i.e., changing the
number and types of the arguments they expect).  Those
are important, and they can also be interpreted as moving
from one theory to another in the lattice of theories.    (06)

John    (07)