RE: Intension and Extension (Was RE: [ontac-forum] Type vs. Class - last

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 16:30:33 -0500

[AZAMAT]
What was proposed but seem invalid is that we can always deduce
equivalence
of concepts by equivalence of individuals.  This would not work where
there
is more than one possible aspect of the same individual or where there
is
change.      (01)

[LEO]
I completely agree. One intensional description (or concept) is not
equivalent to another, even though both have the same extensions. But
(some) so-called natural kinds proponents ultimately want to make that
assertion, i.e., a description picks out the same extension in all
possible worlds. Of course, the strict realist (actualist) will say
that there is only one actual world, so we can instead substitute "same
extension in all situations in this world" for the above. That's
typically fine for "tigers" today. But eventually you end up saying
things like "well, today's planets are what used to be called planetary
bodies, and today's asteroids are was used to be called small planetary
bodies" (or something similar).      (02)

The denotations may not have changed (the things in the world, if you
could know them in a God-like fashion, but then how can you?), but it's
definitely true that your ways of referring to them have changed. A
strict realist will say something like "well, natural kinds exist even
if we can't ascertain what they are or can only do so via the
application of the scientific method over time". But then (at least to
me) you get into green and grue discussions, and in today's
bioengineering world, perhaps in the distinction between "tomatoes" and
"tomatoes with 1 fish gene": i.e., when do "tomatoes with n other
genes" become non-tomatoes? You could revert to "natural" in "natural
kind" and say, well those kinds of cases are not natural. But what does
that mean: it begins to sound like "natural" arguments in religion.     (03)

I too want ontological categories that correspond as much as possible
to things in the real world. But you're going to end up with
birds-that-can't-fly very soon, along with
tomatoes-that-have-no-tomato-genes-but-look-and-taste-like-good-old-tom
atoes. We all want necessary and sufficient conditions for our
"class/type" ontology "concepts/nodes/...", but we may not get them.
Axioms will help us here, so we can unambiguously state what we mean
(insofar as that's possible using logic, I guess ;).    (04)

Leo    (05)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (06)