Re: [ontac-forum] Future directions for ontologies and terminologies

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Lichtblau, Dale" <Del@xxxxxxx>
From: Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 05:02:22 -0800
John,    (01)

Cory's remarks about the lack of focus/direction/etc... are timely.
In that constructive spirit, I would find it enlightening if your
response addresses a few questions that might help clarify/focus things
a bit
along the lines Cory is aling for.    (02)

1) what constitutes the universe of ONTAC problems are we trying to solve?    (03)

You're convinced that the "one-size-fits-all" upper ontology is doomed
for failure.
But failure for what kind of problem? When you mention juries,
committees, etc...,
this is a loose and partial characterization of the context for some
unspecified problem.
The characterization is partial because we have not specified either
what kind of
problem-solving meta-ontology with which we could specify a minimum criteria
to adjucate when a particular problem context has enough information to
warrant
some kind of analysis.    (04)

2) what kind of meta-ontology of problem solving do we need to
organize/classify/recognize/discriminate ONTAC problems?    (05)

If we had, say, 100 use-case scenarios, we could be none the wiser
unless we have a meta-ontology that helps us organize these use-cases
into classes or problem solving situations. Even if the problem-domain
is fixed (e.g., a frozen legacy system) we might still evolve the
meta-ontology by which we catalog, organize, group, cluster, and
discriminate
among the various legacy use-case scenarios.    (06)

As Chris eloquently mentioned, problem solving activity can range
from local reasoning with unidirectional information transfer
to bidirectional information exchanges required for negotiating/reasoning
about coordinated problem-solving activities.    (07)

3) what figures of merit are relevant to assess the effectiveness and
utility that information sharing has w.r.t. problem-solving performance?    (08)

Again, Chris emphasized the need to look at information sharing at the
scale of an entire ONTAC problem context:
are there sources of semantic ambiguity that may be counter-productive
to successful problem solving endeavor?
An analogy w/ control systems might equate semantic ambiguity with
signal noise and semantic discord with
poles in a Nyquist stability diagram.    (09)

4) what language of sentences do we get from the upper ontology
associated  to an ONTAG problem?    (010)

I am trying to be careful w.r.t. scoping this language relative to the
upper ontology that is purportedly "shared"
and therefore should constitute a common ground to describe (1), (2) and
(3).    (011)

5) what semantics are available to logically assess matters of
consistency, discriminability, etc...    (012)

I believe semantics for the "upper ontology" (i.e., for the problem
domain) are most useful when
we can "pit" them against another body of sematics (e.g., from (1), (2),
3)).    (013)

-- Nicolas.    (014)

Lichtblau, Dale wrote:    (015)