Re: [ontac-forum] Future directions for ontologies and terminologies

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Arun Majumdar <arun@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 12:35:38 -0500
Hi,    (01)

The UFO idea is great and it is useful. However, legislating it as the
preferred model reminds me of the attempt that France, and Quebec
(Canada) have made in forcing and legislating a language. Of course, a
working dictionary, which is what UFO more or less is appears to be (in
my subjective perspective) from a 50,000 foot birds-eye view, is a
useful commodity, but it is a "commodity" and like all commoditites it
is bound to be replaced, changed, merged with something else, modified,
rearranged or whatever. These operations require logic and logical
operations. Therefore, while I admire the work that goes into a UFO, I
have some contributions for consideration as an alternative counterpoint:    (02)

1) I do not believe that there is a privileged status for the
"Traditional". It is simply a useful model, useful for some period of
time and a good starting place. I believe that the "traditionalist"
perspective is a basic ingredient of good empirical research, and a
great place to start, but not the ending for tomorrow's understanding .    (03)

2) I believe that the "Fundamentality" concept resides not in the "what"
as descriptions or associations but in "what the *how* is" as in the
processes or causes in the matter of the "being" of the descriptions ---
by this I mean, I do not believe that continuous empirial enumeration of
ontological concepts and relations is viable *without* an underlying
rubric or theory or metatheory to support a principled and external
investigation, and this, based on logic. The problem is akin to Godel's
Incompletness problem, in that I do not believe that cognitive or
lexical linguistics or semantics alone (if we reside alone inside one or
the other of those paradigmatic "boxes") is sufficient to gain another
viewpoint, or perspective for tools-development (ie. to get "outside the
box" thinking). We need a diversity of purely mathematical methods *and*
we need a diversity of lexical methods (one of which might be the UFO),
however, the mathematical methods, by definition, must flow from logic,
nad hence, we need a diversity of logics. To handle this diversity, I
suggest reviewing the work in the hundreds of papers on category theory
and Insitutions.    (04)

In terms of "Mathematicism and Scientism" I agree --- however, I draw
attention to the Yoneda Lemma that takes us up one level in the level of
understanding and description from the object instances or class
definitions to the categories and functors.    (05)

I view "Hierachy and Systematicsm" as a lattice of theories and hence I
agree.    (06)

I am not sure what you really mean by "Universality" here. At one point
in time, the Plum-Pudding model of the atom of Rutherford was a great
model to describe the ontology of atoms, then, the Bohr model of the
atom was a good model. Later, it was displaced by a the quantum orbitals
model. The one consistency is that each of them represents a level of
detail from a level of abstraction and in this sense, there is
universality, but not at the level of the model instances themeselves.
The universality (in my personal an subjective view which is open to
correction) is that of a mapping in terms of levels of abstraction to
the purposes at hand that the models served.    (07)

While the Semantic Web folks struggle, we too should struggle to help
them by not repeating the same steps: by converging several viewpoints
from logic, model theory, representation theory, mathematics etc...    (08)

I hope my views have provided food for thought.    (09)

Thanks,    (010)

Arun    (011)

Azamat wrote:    (012)