RE: [ontac-forum] Future directions for ontologies and terminologies

To: <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Lichtblau, Dale" <Del@xxxxxxx>
From: "Lichtblau, Dale" <Del@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:42:10 -0500

John:

Regarding your general observations:

1. Are you implying that the "one-size-fits-all ontology" of the contemporary physicist looking for the "theory of everything" (TOE) is a "disaster"? Do they know that?

2. You say, "committees, juries, legislatures, advisory boards, etc. are the only means for making good evaluations." No doubt. But shouldn't (couldn't) their collective wisdom inform the designer?

3. A "lattice" of theories is the current (me thinks rightly) scientific paradigm. (The word "lattice" connotes, however, an overly rigid structure that is not amenable to most "ontologists." Isn't it more a "mesh"?)

4. Indeed. Time marches on. But a computer program, in some sense, is necessarily (internaly) consistent (at each point in time)--else it would "crash."

5. I'd submit that every highly-specialized "field" of "scientific" (medical or otherwise) endeavor has an inplicit, but coherent (more or less) (i.e., self-consistent) "ontology" that serves that community very well. Being able to "expose" that ontology in a formal language requires a logician.

Best to all,
Dale