Re: [ontac-forum] Semantic Interoperability: Sowa's Collection of Module

To: ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: David Eddy <deddy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 22:38:45 -0500
John/Cory -    (01)

>  [Cory Casanave]
>
>  > For example, if a set of interfaces were mapped to something
>  > like wordnet, it is easy to see how tools would help the
>  > human make connections between interfaces by matching
>  > the concepts.  If it were correct 75% of the time - that
>  > would be a big win!
>
> [John Sowa]
>
> What I am suggesting is something like a corrected WordNet --
> i.e., with a more accurate and consistent treatment of the
> type-subtype, type-instance, and whole-part relations.
> It would be 100% correct *all the time* for what it says,
> but it would not make any commitment on any controversial
> issue.
>    (02)

Would it be possible to consider something WordNet-like, but rather
than containing some 120,000+ words (& steadily expanding at a rapid
pace), have JUST the language & concepts relevant to a particular
application.    (03)

I've had some exposure to a sizable company with a controlled vocabulary
list of a mere 1500 "terms"... two full orders of magnitude smaller than
WordNet.    (04)

While it may be considered tremendously mundane, in the realm of
interfacing systems, the "words" used tend to be extremely cryptic & not
found in any dictionaries.    (05)

The words/concepts must to a large extent be extracted from the existing
systems (from the assumption that whatever human sensible documentation
exists is both wrong & obsolete when compared to the actual source
code).    (06)

I know this is about 250,000' below Cyc, but to the grunt in the
trenches trying to grok with the code is actually doing, the problem is
how to recognize that in Silo A "POL-NO" means pretty much the same as
"ctrt_id" over in Silo B.    (07)

I am unable to see how something even remotely like Cyc is going to help
with that sort of real world interoperability situation.    (08)

- David Eddy
Babson Park, MA
781-455-0949    (010)