[ontac-forum] quantum logic and the sufficiency of predicate logic

To: "John F. Sowa" <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Paul J. Werbos" <pwerbos@xxxxxxx>, ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 13:57:34 -0700

(This is a side discussion and should be deleted unread, unless you find
this useful)    (01)

well John    (02)

I do not need a study list from you, thank you anyway.    (03)

It becomes a religion, John.    (04)

One cannot see what the argument is that I make regarding formalism - if one
gets side tracked on other issues, like the legacy use of the relationa;
database.  If this was the governing argument before Tesla and Westhouse
brought alternating current to the market, then we would all still be using
direct current to light our homes.    (05)

So I feel very much like someone whose discussion with a relgious group ends
in "Paul you just do not understand, perhaps you should read more of our
literature."    (06)

Clearly there is some sense of "logic" that I feel is more appropriate to
computing with tokens that are strings of letters whose properties and
attributes are specified in an Ontology standard like OWL, or some other
standard like what others may propose based on triples that are not
templated as subject, verb, predicate as the RDF triples are.  And it should
not be so hard to move the discussion to explore these issues.  Right?    (07)

There are numerous works on "quantum logic" and this "type" of logic is
quite different from standard set theory.    (08)

Paul (Werbos) and I have had many discussions about the works of Robert
Rosen and the "claimed" adequacy of common notions of set theory, and common
notions of inference.    (09)

He and I have different points of view, but perhaps he will make a comment.    (010)