RE: [ontac-forum] Semantic Interoperability: Sowa'sCollectionof Modules

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:18:59 -0000
Dear Barry,    (01)

see below    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (04)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

<snip>    (06)

> Re: the issue whether ISO 15926 can express simple inferences
> involving relations, Matthew responds:
>
> >MW: I understand your difficulty because you are used to different
> >formalisms. I have a sub-relation that has a relationship to the two
> >objects that you relate. I can see by inspection, that if I join (in
> >relational terms) my two relations I get yours.
> >
> >MW: That you do not see this does no make it untrue.
> >
> >MW: I will happily take you (or anyone else who is
> interested) through
> >this the next time you are in London, since I guess the gap in
> >understanding is too wide for the written word.
>
> Does this mean that all members of ONTAC-WG have to congregate in
> London every time they want to use the ontology?    (07)

MW: I see I am too generous. It is clear from the way that you have
asked me in private e-mails for specific chapter and verse of which
bits of ISO 15926 relate to the case in point that you have not done
your homework. Figure 80 on P42 even gives a worked example.    (08)

MW: Why you should expect to be able to understand something without
reading it, or feel competant to criticise it without that courtesy
is beyond me.

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (09)