RE: [ontac-forum] ISO 15926 and BFO

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:18:59 -0000
Dear Barry,    (01)

See below    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (04)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

MW: If you want the explanatory parts yes. The formal parts are freely
available at the web address above. You would also have to invest in
understanding the entity-relationship formalism used.    (07)

> >(and that this is the reason why Matthew wanted
> >us to fly to London -- to save money?
> >
> >If so, could he not just cut and paste the
> >relevant section, indicating how the standard
> >supports simple reasoning about instances and types?    (08)

MW: That is already available at the above site, and I have
pointed you to it.    (09)

> >Should we be considering an ontology as a common
> >standard which has a 246 Swiss Franc membership fee?    (010)

MW: ISO 15926 is an International Standard, it has already been through
the kind of process that is contemplated here. You will find that anything
worthwhile has a price to pay.    (011)

> >Re my own earlier remarks regarding:
> >>Re John's response to:

> >>That's an excellent principle.  Any axiom that is deleted
> >>from UF will not go away, but it will be available in
> >>modules or microtheories that could be used as needed
> >>by various systems.  In effect, the topmost levels of most
> >>ontologies are the most controversial.  Therefore, UF
> >>should have a highly impoverished top level.
> >

> >It reveals a problem however. If only those bits
> >of the top level are to survive which are agreed
> >to by everybody, then -- since there are
> >3-dimensionalists and 4-dimensionalists who
> >share no (or very few) top-level beliefs in
> >common about the nature of physical reality --
> >nothing will survive. I would suggest, in fact,
> >that the BFO solution should be generalized. BFO
> >itself has two modules, one for occurrents, one
> >for continuants -- entities which exist in two
> >distinct ways in time. It has no modules for
> >dealing with numbers or sets; we are happy to
> >use other peoples' modules. These are all
> >top-level modules. People should be able to select from these, too.
>

> I failed to remark that the 3-D and 4-D
> ontologies in the simple formulation adopted by
> BFO are compatible with each other. This is
> because they merely assert that there 3-D and 4-D
> entities, respectively. E.g. there are hands, and
> there are handshakes. No normal person would disagree with this.    (012)

MW: Quite so. However, you seem to fail to realise that they
are separate objects in a 4D ontology also. More homework to do.

> The two ontologies become incompatible only when
> one adopts (à la Matthew) a reductionist clause
> to the effect that there ONLY 4-D entities (or
> ONLY 3-D entities) according to choice.    (013)

MW: The move is not made for reductionist reasons in my case.

> Thus, BFO is compatible with all 3-D and 4-D
> ontologies, but only if the latter are shorn of
> the associated reductionist clauses (which are
> what cause all the foundational debates which
> John, rightly, is exasperated by).    (014)

MW: And the former shorn of their 3D view of processes?    (015)

MW: So in fact it is fine as long as they share your view.

> The BFO ideology holds that a top-level ontology
> (like a domain ontology) should reflect nothing
> like a closed world assumption. That is, it
> should always leave room for the addition of new
> types as these become recognized as necessary,
> e.g. because of the advance of science.    (016)

MW: A point where we can agree.    (017)

http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?SICoP/OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG    (018)