RE: [ontac-forum] taxonomy of relationships

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 14:15:37 -0700
I.N. Sarkar    (01)

Of course, you are right (see your note below) that there are biological
phenomenon that are unaffected by the environment (during a specific part of
that phenomenon's expression).  This is a curious truth, but one that one
has to admit...  For example, my image of self may be (almost completely)
unaffected by my experience - in many instances.  Selective memory helps me
maintain an "autopoiesis" (Maturana and Valera's term  "Tree of Knowledge"
1987).    (02)

Your comments are to the heart of the current discussion.    (03)

I have some questions for you.  The purpose of the question is to find out
how you feel about something - and therefore to gain a better understanding
about what you have written.    (04)

Biochemistry and Immunobiology are both about living systems, right?    (05)

So in this sense there should be, and is, common ontological commitments
shared by some who are familar with both disciplines.  Right?  If so let us
call this group, group A.    (06)

But are there also other knowledgable groups who would disagree with group
A.  I believe I am making a observation that everyone will agree with, ie
that there are schools of ontological commitments that cross the bourdaries
of what are regarded as narrowly defined academic disciplines.    (07)

The ontological commitments are reflected in the set of relationships that
one group would be comfortable with.  However, other groups will wish to
focus on the "science" using a quite different commitment.    (08)

I feel that the notion that John Sowa is talking about; some common ontology
core where there is no disagreement has to address the fact that various
groups have quite different and often contridictory ontological commitments.    (09)

His and my discussion regarding the nature of "logic" identifies that I am
in one school of thought and he is in another school of thought.  What we
must avoid, in my opinion, is setting up a system where a school of thought
takes the position that it is privilaged.    (010)

To the question of privilaged ontological commitment    (011)

John said to me in a off line discussion:    (012)

The short answer is very simple:    (013)

 > I have to ask why classical logic
 > has a privileged status?    (014)

It's a subset of English and every other natural
language.  All you need to support full classical
first-order logic are the words "and", "not", and
"some" plus the ability to use them with ordinary
English syntax.  You can throw in "or", "if", and
"every" as well, but they can be defined in terms
of the above three.    (015)

To this I have many things to say, but will withhold.  This is not a
discusison about philosophy but about how to move the semantic web and other
future things forward.    (016)