Re: [ontac-forum] taxonomy of relationships

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "I.N. Sarkar" <sarkar@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:55:23 -0500
However, you state yourself that there *is* a common ontology, which
represents knowledge across multiple disciplines. Rather than focus
on the differences, why not focus on the commonalities? Using the
biochemistry/immunology example you proposed earlier, while the
perspectives may be different the semantic representation of what
both the biochemist and the immunobiologist is identical. In fact,
this is one of the fundamental tenets of comparative biology.    (01)

It is possible to create a upper level ontology to categorize the
world-- and even continuous variables can be made categorical by
various types of binning strategies. We do this in biology all the
time-- when a potentially new organism is found, it is compared to
type specimens.    (02)

Best.    (03)

-Neil.    (04)

On 2005 Nov 26, at 16:15 EST, Paul S Prueitt wrote:    (05)

--
Indra Neil Sarkar, PhD
Bioinformatics Associate