[ontac-forum] FW: quantum logic and the sufficiency of predicate logic

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@xxxxxx>, Tom Bush <tom.l.bush@xxxxxxx>, Robert O'Harrow <oharrowr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 20:39:39 -0700

ONTAC community and others,    (01)

communications to me are never private.  This recent discussion in the ONTAC
forum and on the side-lines is a discussion the nature of which the American
people need to see and understand.  There are many who are trying to figure
out how to make this discussion visible.    (02)

Why?  Because these Semantic Interoperability Community of Practice (SICoP)
working groups influence how many millions of dollars, if not Billions, are
spent.  It is worst than that, over the past decade real progress is not
made.    (03)

This absence of progress effects how our science and society advances issues
critical to enhancing human interaction and communication during crisis.  So
obstacles do matter.  This obstacles need to be exposed and understood.  Of
course there is lots of well intending workers.  But something is wrong.
Yes?    (04)

John may say that there is not enough funding for this work to be done
properly, and I agree... that is why we have developed a proposal for a (1.2
B over five years) National Plan to create a science of knowledge systems.    (05)

http://www.bcngroup.org/area2/KSF/nationalProject.htm    (06)

The members of the ONTAC forum can make their own judgment.    (07)

I have developed the awareness, in some of your minds, that there is a
knowledgeable and scholarly community that is held back by this type of
behavior (see below).    (08)

Others have become fishermen or gas station attendants because in spite of
having earned PhDs their work runs up against narrow peer review - of the
type that John is demonstrating. Many were never able to complete the
advanced degrees because their innovations would run contrary to this
fundamentalism.    (09)

see: http://www.ontologystream.com/area2/KSF/KnowledgeScience.htm    (010)

If John wants to debate issues, then let us develop the issues clearly.  But
he is unwilling to do this, even in a separate forum where the attack on me
cannot be made that the people in THIS forum are just too important and too
busy to be bothered by this tyep of analysis of foundational issues.    (011)

I have NOT said that people should NOT use Databases, for example.  What I
have said is that there is an extensive literature that suggests that
computer science has foundational issues that will not let it move beyond
the values that were achieved with the relational database.  The core
practical problem is that a data schema fixes an specific organization to
the data. etc...    (012)

The work that others have done involves data encoding that leaves the schema
to a last minute organization.  But this is not just my work, it is the work
of many others - all of which set on the sidelines as the "intellectual
authorities" play these games.    (013)

I will continue to post into the web log I have developed....    (014)

http://www.ontologystream.com/beads/nationalDebate/242.htm    (015)

I thank you all for some excellent conversation, I learned a lot.    (016)

 Paul Prueitt    (017)