ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 14:01:18 -0000
Dear Barry,    (01)

See below.    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (04)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

MW: So far I think we can agree.    (07)

> There are 3D object -- Matthew -- these are continuants
> extended in time.    (08)

MW: This is where we disagree. The object Matthew is clearly 4D
and clearly is identical to my living process having the same
spatio-temporal extent. My point was that you deny this, just
as I deny that I am a 3D object.

> If we take a snapshot of a 3D object we do not see a 3D event: rather
> we see a 3D object     (09)

MW: Rather you will see a state of the object.    (010)

> (look at some of the snapshops in your album one
> day, Matthew -- see how pictures of little Matthew, and pictures of
> big Matthew; these are pictures of the very same object, at different
> points in time.    (011)

MW: If the pictures were of the same object, then they would all look
the same, but they do not. This is because they are pictures of states
of me at different times in my life. The states are different, and this
is why the pictures are different, but the states are all states of my
life, which is why they are all pictures of me.    (012)