ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Representation of attributes

To: "ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "West, Matthew R SIPC-DFD/321" <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 09:19:47 -0000
Dear Cory and Barry,    (01)

See below.    (02)

Regards    (03)

Matthew West
Reference Data Architecture and Standards Manager
Shell International Petroleum Company Limited
Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA, United Kingdom    (04)

Tel: +44 20 7934 4490 Mobile: +44 7796 336538
Email: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.shell.com
http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/    (05)

MW: Yes there is both a life-cycle object (spatio-temporal extent) and
any snapshot of it you like, and they are different objects. The
snapshots are compatible and are temporal parts of the former.    (07)

> BS: Indeed, both Hurricane Rita, the continuant     (08)

MW: Notice the move from life-cycle object to continuant, something
that passes through time, rather than being extended in time.    (09)

> which moves across
> the ocean, and the process of moving, exist, and to accept the
> existence of both in a good ontology is unproblematic.    (010)

MW: Indeed. The difference being that you are not able to recognise
these two as actually being the same (since they have the same
spatio-temporal extent).

> > > MW: Barry is just as entitled to exclude things he does
> not like from his
> > > ontology
> > > as I am. Indeed we both need to exclude some things or
> else they won't
> > > work.
>

> BS: I accept both. It is Matthew who is in the business of
> excluding things.    (011)

MW: So you accept that physical objects are spatio-temporal
extents as well as 3D continuants then?    (012)

MW: I am saying that the underlying nature of physical objects
is 4D. On that you can have whatever 3D snapshots you like.    (013)