cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] White Paper

To: <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'common upper ontology working group'" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:21:10 -0500
Brad,
We have been thinking along similar lines but I submit the government has to
own their architectures, only they have the cross-cutting view (or should
have).  Contractors can help build these, but the architecture asset (as the
expression of the enterprise, enterprise needs and solutions - business or
technical) has to be put into the acquisition cycle.   Systems then need to
be built to that architecture is an executable, testable way.  Those
architectures have to STOP being "for a system" and be "for the enterprise".
SOA makes a great model for these architectures - separating concerns and
providing the boundaries to build to.  The semantic technologies can help
here to join and bridge architectures, but you are absolutely correct that
the core problem is not technical.
-Cory    (01)