cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] White Paper

To: "Cory Casanave" <cory-c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "common upper ontology working group" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Flynn, John P." <john.flynn@xxxxxxx>
From: "Brad Cox, Ph.D." <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 16:41:02 -0500
The point is designed systems and evolved systems arise from two ways of
solving similar problems. Evolved systems ("free markets" for example) often
solve the hardest ones better, as the soviet economy's shot at central
planning shows.    (01)

It was also an evolved problem that has pretty much solved the N^2 problem of
cross-domain ontologies  between diverse real languages, a problem I think we
do agree won't be solved by centrally planned technologies like OWL. No
shortage of cross-domain ontologies (dictionaries, etc) in bookstores; another
evolved system, with the incentive structures I mentioned.    (02)

Rain forests are just one example of evolved systems. If that example doesn't
work for you just pick one that does. But don't rule evolved solutions out
just because they are seen as unconventional in these circles.     (03)

--
Work: Brad Cox, Ph.D; Binary Group; Mail bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Home: 703 361 4751; Chat brdjcx@aim; Web http://virtualschool.edu    (04)