cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] White Paper

To: rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, common upper ontology working group <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Brad Cox, Ph.D." <bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:37:39 -0500
Thanks for the encouraging note, Richard. I'd backed off, convinced I'd wasn't
being heard. But buoyed by your note, I'll take one more shot at explaining
what I've been trying to get across.    (01)

One of the things that's confusing me is I don't feel I understand what people
mean by the term "N^2 problem". I'm guessing that's shorthand for costs
increaases as limitOf(N*(N-1)) as N -> infinity = N^2. Fair enough; its
shorter.     (02)

But that applies if all N machines are to be connected to all N-1 others.
Actually cost increases as the number of *interfaces*. N^2 is just an upper
bound on that. But why concentrate on the upper bound when interfaces could be
counted as easily, without the concern over whether upper bounds are
realistic? For example, for N machines in a linear pipeline, the number of
interfaces is N-1, hardly N^2 or even N*(N-1).    (03)

So rephrasing the problem as one of semantic interoperability between M
interfaces where M is larger than we might like but still far less than
N*(N-1). I been trying to point out that there are two ways of approaching
that problem. I've called them the designed approach and the evolved approach.    (04)

In the designed approach, a (small) community of experts uses high technology
ontology tools to build a generalized solution (upper ontology) that can
generate the mappings needed to make any given interface interoperable. The
approach doesn't much depend on what standard (language) is used. I used OWL
as my example because that's what I'm most familiar with. Structured English,
structured french, or plain ol' Java/Cobol/Haskel would do about as well,
albeit with varying readibility. What's important here is that the approach is
centrally planned, largely confined to an expert community, although hopefully
with at least some support by domain experts with conflicting demands on their
time.    (05)

The evolved approach is entirely different and more bottom-up. M interfaces
imply there are M  groups of individuals that care about making each specific
interface (call it M(i)) interoperate. Those M groups are empowered
(governance?) to address the problem in much the same way we solve
inteoperability with natural languages; by using dictionaries and related
tools, using interpreters, etc. Dictionaries and interpreters are evolved
systems. Externally these are commercial products that compete with each other
in a competive system (free markets). But I could well imagine that domain
experts within govt might produce translation dictionaries that might compete
in a similar way, if govt could find a way to incentive them to focus on the
problem over other pressing uses of their time.    (06)

Point is, I could well see how the second (evolved) approach could "solve"
the interoperability problem" as I've stated it. I've much less confidence
(approaching zero) that the designed approach (as I defined it) ever could.
This is partially because AI technology just isn't very smart, and partially
because you still need domain experts and don't have a way to incentive them
to contribute, since you've counted too heavily on high technology as the sole
solution.     (07)

But mainly because people just don't solve ontology differences that way in
the real (non-IT) world. They just buy a dictionary, or hire a translator.
Problem solved.    (08)

--
Work: Brad Cox, Ph.D; Binary Group; Mail bcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Home: 703 361 4751; Chat brdjcx@aim; Web http://virtualschool.edu    (09)