soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] Fw: [CAnet - news] SOA versus Web 2.0

To: "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Paul S Prueitt" <psp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 16:22:15 -0600
Is there something that one can directly compare W* or Web 2.0 or what ever (is W* sameAs Web 2.0)  to the OASIS SOA RM?

Joe, in my humble opinion, the links below have more information than one needs (information about the author(s) and about his/their opinions).

To the SOA CoP...

OASIS SOA RM is in my opinion complete adequate and sufficient for social transformations that I am hoping to help.

As has been mentioned, the "phenomenon" of case based reasoning is vital to causing the types of complicated cascades that are needed in a new type of computing and communication .  Computers need these cases enumerated.  Web-ontology is doing this now days and doing it well, in a few cases.  Human communication needs choice points (BCM standard) and measurements to test when the cases are not adequate in a particular situation.

What most miss is that human reasoning is constantly in touch with reality, what I and others (Aldo de Moor) call the pragmatic axis.

The OASIS SOA RM does not miss this, and yet most other standards do miss this - particularly (the judgment can be made) W3C standards.  (Show me one that does, and I will be very happy to review it.)  The reason why this is a RM and not an architecture is to correct architectures that have no or little reference capabilities to natural processes.  (Again, this means process models and really alignment to real temporal events.)  This is a call for a principled discussion if someone feels slighted by a slight critic of W3C.

The issue is clarity of the standards, and fidelity to the natural processes that the standards should be helping us model and assist ourselves and others with "web services".  Yes?

This is where an alignment with the OASIS SOA-RM is necessary, because this RM is correct (in the context I am speaking) and because of the break through (conceptually) within the leadership (some of it) of the Federal CIO Council, in this context.  We feel that more than any other thing, other than an awareness of n-ary ontology and Ontology referential bases, this alignment to the OASIS RM has the greatest merit.

Stakeholders will understand this alignment, but we need to demonstrate that we have mastered this RM and understand how to do web service architectures within the scope of the RM.

In my mind, not having seen all standards, for me.....The SOA-RM, the FERA (Federated Enterprise Reference Architecture) and the following other standards complete a  * cover over the high level standards the federal government should adopt.

SOA-IM (Information Model)
SOA-CS (Collaborative Services)
BCM (Business Centric Methodology) adopted at OASIS in April 2006.

ebXML (electronic business XML) strongly supported by SUN and reasonably good.

* by cover, I mean that all of the issues are taken care of at one level (in this case the high level cover is a conceptual cover).

Paul Prueitt