soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] SOA Demo - Records Management Option

To: "Service-Oriented Architecture CoP" <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Metz Rebekah" <metz_rebekah@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 08:44:57 -0400

Rebekah Metz

Associate

Booz Allen Hamilton

Voice:  (703) 377-1471

Fax:     (703) 902-3457

-----Original Message-----
From: soa-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:soa-forum-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Prueitt (ontologystream)
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 2:07 PM
To: 'Service-Oriented Architecture CoP'
Cc: ONTAC-WG General Discussion
Subject: RE: [soa-forum] SOA Demo - Records Management Option

Nara document management

http://www.archives.gov/era/rms

has long been something that I have had an interest in, since my design of a

declassification engine (compliant to US EO 12958) in 1996.  I understand

that the current declassification engine is still based on this 1996 work,

at least in part.

A set of issues arises based on the questions related to;

  why a document is to be moved

  from one place to another.

The most obvious set of services is the set of informational resources that

helps a human (or automatic process) decide if specific information is to be

classified (kept classified) or not.  Policy about this issue comes from the

Executive Branch of government and is conditioned by laws passed by the

Congress and judgments made by the Judiciary.   This policy is mostly not

classified (according to the principles established by Constitutional law in

the US).

[->] Here’s what’s fascinating to me – within relatively short order, the discussion of SOA and a particular demonstration of the applicability of SOA concepts to this context is not primarily focused on the technology aspects of the challenge.  We have already recognized the inherent need to identify and solve the leadership, governance, privacy, cultural, and legal challenges to information sharing. SOA is largely about enabling information sharing, so it is only natural that the context of any demonstration reflects these non-technical challenges of information sharing.

Here is the issue that perhaps the group would like to consider (in the

context of Cory's suggestion that the SOA demo be designed to reflect the

concerns of this document - now circulated).

Let us take an example.  THE meaning of "Agency_Offical_Name_Current" is to

be defined within various lines of business models (such as using BPEL

business process execution language).  In fact a set of terms will have

similar definition.

My group makes a distinction between the following

  Services,   web-services,   service webs

Where "services" are defined outside of IT orientation, and service webs are

naturally occurring social networks.

[->] A question here:

1)  if “services” are defined outside of IT orientation, what are they oriented toward?

When I read this, I want to pull some threads together from earlier posts (without actually yet reading the reference material).  The distinction between these terms seems to share a connection, perhaps a second or third order connection.  This connection is predicated on the primacy of social networks – relationships and dependencies.  For example, if web services are to work together to provide a service, there must be some awareness of that social network.  Hence a link to service webs.

[->]

The core SOA methodology issue is about the reconciliation of meaning

applied to terms (managed vocabulary) within the relevant naturally

occurring service webs (social networks).

Is there a need for reconciliation of "semantics" within a SOA deployment at

Nara?  Or can "semantics" be defined (by IT community) and imposed on Nara?

[->] Why would semantics be defined by the IT community?

Services based on the Nara document management activities has both an

internal and external set of interfaces (over which "services" might be

defined and responded to). The internal interfaces (some have suggested) are

"more complex" because there is less conformative pressure at the individual

level.  (Conflicts at the cultural level often have root causes because of

reconciliation failures between individuals).   [->]

[->] How beautiful is this statement.  Essentially, what I read from this paragraph is that the same “lessons learned” will eventually be recognized in technology evolution, much as they are in cultural and societal evolution.  While listening to an NPR newscast on globalization, I started thinking about how the characteristics of economic globalization may in fact also emerge in a truly service oriented technology system.  But, I digress..

"Meaning" thus has several simultaneous viewpoints.  Often these viewpoints

express opposing purposes.

I have long made the argument, often poorly, in the CIO Council meetings;

that if "meaning" is too narrowly defined one builds "service systems" that

have to be understood for how they are designed.

[->] Can you elaborate a bit more on this for me?

So software designers may

create dysfunctionality if a service we wish to ask for, and are legally

entitled to receive, is effectively not provided because of a burdensome

hindrance.

[->] Is the burdensome hindrance the narrow definition used to build service systems or does the burdensome hindrance result from the overly narrow definition?

If this hindrance is foreseeable, then the software designers may place

themselves in legal bind.

Often this means an exclusion of not only "meaning" express-able from other

viewpoints but also a violation of actual federal laws (reflecting the

primary Constitutional requirements for access to government services.

US Citizen access to US federal government services cannot be, by federal

laws, unnecessarily or unreasonably hindered by the means through which

actual services are rendered.  In many cases, restrictions of access are

mandated by law.  In many other case, access is mandated by federal law.

Service architecture for Nara must be sensitive to at least this

distinction, other wise violation of law will occur (by the computer

"system".)   Hummm...

Web-services (expressed with a SOA) must have the following dimensions

1) re-use that is measured against community transparent utility functions

2) agility measured as the ability to respond in novel circumstances, and to

novel requests

3) governance that is open to inspection from stakeholders

4) commonality within a community or community of communities

[->] Would this be commonality of need, capability, meaning or any/all of them?

5) competency that is measured at several levels including competency

expressed by individual capability and community capability[->]  - i.e. the whole may be greater than the sum of the parts.  What a powerful argument for dynamic composibility of capability to respond to novel and unanticipated needs.

[->] I really like these dimensions.  I would suggest that any services expressed as part of SOA must have these dimensions, but that these dimensions really provide a litmus test of when a collection of web services == SOA.  Too often we see existing systems or information being “service enabled” simply by generating WSDL from the existing code used to gain access to the information.  One of the key challenges is to get folks to understand why that type of step != SOA. These challenges provide an excellent framework for that discussion.  May I use it elsewhere?

If the NARA demo of SOA becomes narrowly defined without considering these

dimensions, then the IT effort might cause additional hindrance in how

citizens and government collaborate.

Conformance to existing federal law may break down.

The avenue towards a multi-level description of meaning may be through a

synthesis of some aspects of knowledge management (KM) practices and SOA

more broadly perceived.

[->] Ultimately, (but not necessarily as part of the SOA Demo) I think we’ll need to address all the dimensions of information sharing challenges....

COMMUNITY

Dimension 4

Dedication throughout a community to overcome challenges to information sharing.

GOVERNANCE

Dimension 3

Agreements upheld by all stakeholders to identify information and capabilities to share (exchange).

PRIVACY

Dimension 5

Sharing and dissemination protocols consistent with privacy laws and regulations impacting all participating agencies.

CULTURE

Dimension 4,5

Overcoming community and personnel concerns that prevent effective sharing.

TECHNOLOGY

Dimension 1,2

Leveraging existing technology to integrate knowledge, consistent with the established rules of governance.

LEGAL

Dimension 3,5

Navigate the various laws and regulations impacting dissemination of sensitive and/or case-specific information.

These are just some suggestions for the group to consider.

Shared Files: http://colab.cim3.net/file/work/soa/

Community Wiki: http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?AnnouncementofSOACoP