soa-forum

RE: [soa-forum] SOA Demo - Records Management Option

To: Service-Oriented Architecture CoP <soa-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Andrew S. Townley" <andrew.townley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 11:38:18 +0100

Hi everyone,    (01)

First off, I think it's great that the demo may be able to leverage a
set of real-life requirements.  It should ground the efforts more
closely to business domains that the stakeholders can understand.    (02)

However, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I am very curious
what the precise objectives of the demo should be and how these will be
translated into acceptance criteria for the business stakeholders.    (03)

Previously, Cory suggested:    (04)

> Perhaps a little more background on the kinds of
> problems we are trying to solve would be appropriate, below is our
> focus.
>

> Business Need; Collaboration and integration    (05)

I have no problem with this as a starting point.  However, from previous
experience trying to ground demos in business needs, it is easy to focus
on a real business problem and not what is useful to demonstrate within
the context of a demo.    (06)

>From my calculations, the demo needs to be created in a period of 4
weeks of design/development.  This implies that a concrete demo scenario
is ironed out this week, and also allows 2 weeks before the conference
for final integration/testing among the participants fielding code.
Maybe that's too long, but, we certainly don't want the demo to break
during the conference (unless, I suppose you have the charisma of Steve
Jobs :)    (07)

Please bear in mind, all I'm trying to do is firmly establish the goals
of the demo within the larger context of the Records Management
requirements.  What are we attempting to prove as a unique
characteristic of SOA that deserves further consideration as the primary
architectural style to be deployed for e-government?  Based on this
question, what will be the acceptance criteria to be used in determining
if the demo is successful.    (08)

I don't know the answers to these; I'm just posing the questions. :)    (09)

Cheers,    (010)

ast    (011)

--
Join me in Dubrovnik, Croatia on May 8-10th when I will be speaking at
InfoSeCon 2006.  For more information, see www.infosecon.org.    (012)

Access to this email by anyone other than the intended addressee is
unauthorized.  If you are not the intended recipient of this message, any
review, disclosure, copying, distribution, retention, or any action taken or
omitted to be taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If
you are not the intended recipient, please reply to or forward a copy of this
message to the sender and delete the message, any attachments, and any copies
thereof from your system.