Re: [ontac-forum] Semantics and Ontology ? and semiotics?

To: <editor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: semantic-web@xxxxxx, ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 00:05:53 +0300
<Paola Di Maio>... To me semantics is the meaning of words, and semiotis is
the meaning of non verbal communication, ie signs and symbols.
Please correct me where I am wrong,    (01)

Paola,    (02)

It was nice to hear from you, and i am glad that you enjoyed the company of
Umberto Eco, who used to explain the complexitities of semiotics, meanings
and ambiguity by fictional works, like The Name of the Rose.    (03)

As for the issue you arose, both versions have right to exist. In a narrow
sense, Semantics is a linguistic branch caring about the language
significance (linguistic signs), while in a broader meaning, it is what i
suggested below.    (04)

[Semantics is aimed to provide a general theory of meaning relations between
signs, constructs and things, assigning signification to syntactic
structures and meanings to conceptual structures.]    (05)

At this level, we still abstracted from the pragmatic aspects of meaning,
i.e., the user of the language (the agent of communication, interpretant);
for the production of meaning as well as the processes whereby an agent
(animal, human or robot)  assigns signification to signs more relate to
empirical sciences such as psycholinguistics, history, anthropology.
Adding pragmatical and syntactic dimensions, you come to semiotics studying
the nature of signs, which are generally of three sorts (natural, mental and
cultural (conventional)), as it was discussed before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign.    (06)

Regards,
Azamat