Re: [ontac-forum] Semantics and Ontology (former What should be in an u

To: mitioke@xxxxxxxxxxxx, ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: kevinsl@xxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 19:48:58 -0400
Ken,
I'm glad you've included such qualifying statements as "could not be
validated by linguists" and "over the objections of many linguists,"
because it is certainly extra-ordinary to posit a necessary connection
between linguistic signs and the signified things themselves.  So
extraordinary, in fact, that you would have to leap over the modern and
Enlightenment theories of semantic/linguistic analysis and find your
predecessors among Renaissance grammarians and encyclopaedists, as
indicated by M. Foucault in several passages from "The Order of Things"
(Les Mots et les choses):    (01)

"In its raw historical sixteenth-century being, language is not an
arbitrary system; it has been set down in the world and forms a part of
it, both because things themselves hide and manifest their own enigma
like a language and because words offer themselves to men as things to
be deciphered. The great metaphor of the book that one opens, that one
pores over and reads in order to know nature, is merely the reverse and
visible side of another transference, and a much deeper one, which
forces language to reside in the world, among the plants, the herbs, the
stones, and the animals.... Ramus divided his grammar into two parts.
The first was devoted to etymology, which means that one looked in it to
discover, not the original meanings of words, but the intrinsic
'properties' of letters, syllables, and finally, whole words.  The
second part dealt with syntax: its purpose was to teach 'the building of
words together by means of their properties', and it consisted 'almost
entirely in the convenience and mutual communion of properties, as of
the noun with the noun or with the verb, of the adverb with all the
words to which it is adjoined, of the conjunction in the order of things
conjoined'.  Language is not what it is because it has a meaning; its
representative content, which was to have such importance for
grammarians of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries that it provided
them with the guiding thread of their analyses, has no role to play
here.  Words group syllables together, and syllables letters, because
there are virtues placed in individual letters that draw them towards
each other or keep them apart, exactly as the marks found in nature also
repel or attract one another.  The study of grammar in the sixteenth
century is based upon the same epistemological arrangement as the
science of nature or the esoteric disciplines.  The only differences are
that there is only one nature and there are several languages…  [I]t was
very possible [according to Renaissance grammarians] that before Babel,
before the Flood, there had already existed a form of writing composed
of the marks of nature itself, with the result that its characters would
have had the power to act upon things directly, to attract them or repel
them, to represent their properties, their virtues, and their secrets."
(p. 35-8)    (02)

You understand, here, that it is necessary for me to allow M. Foucault
to go on at such length about this because the whole notion is so alien
to our modern sensibilities.  This alien epistemology is what you seem
to have resurrected in your taxonomy of 18 distinct semantic
classifications.    (03)

Actually, I almost forgot, there are some contemporary folks who share
your belief that the shape and structure of written language conceals
some necessary and eternal truths:  Michael Drosnin's "The Bible Code"
is very sympathetic to this point of view, and also entirely without
merit in contemporary linguistic circles.  But shouldn't we be applying
our interpretive powers in the other direction, from things that are the
case to an array of linguistic expressions representing states-of-affairs?    (04)

KL    (05)

Ken Ewell wrote:    (06)