Re: [ontac-forum] What should be in an upper-level ontology

To: "ONTAC-WG General Discussion" <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Azamat" <abdoul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 22:53:44 +0300
Dear John,    (01)

I gather you must be shown all due esteem for your energy, devotion, and
tolerance of all sorts of ideas and views imposed on you.    (02)

Certainly, it  would be sad if your priceless effort is to be passed away
without a summary of conclusions on the core problems of ontology.  Maybe
you will sort out all the judgments by the attestation criteria: precise
(certain and definite and explicit and determinate); vague (implicit,
equivocal, intentionally ambiguous, open to several interpretations); and
confusing (unreasonable or perplexing and puzzling), alike the following
sample.    (03)

EXPLICIT STATEMENTS    (04)

JS > The categories of an ontology are not words.
JS > Alignment of ontologies is not alignment of their terminologies.
PC> If any two ontology-driven systems want to work together, that upper
ontology... has to be the same. If a system decides to change its upper
ontology on the fly, it should be prepared for serious chaos.    (05)

MW > Upper ontologies are more general, and so will have more general
axioms. Lower level
ontologies are more specific and so will have more specific and detailed
axioms.    (06)

EP > A good gloss entails the necessary and sufficient conditions of the
concept that it
describes.    (07)

EP > We can certainly map general things to other general things with
precision.    (08)

KE >...to *distinguish* significance (or meaning) from a glut of vagueness
and mostly useless noise was the real goal or objective of an ontology.    (09)

VAGUE STATEMENTS    (010)

JS> Words must be related to ontologies, but that mapping is a complex
many-to-many [or one?] relationship between the words of any natural
language and the categories of an ontology.    (011)

JS > .any upper level should be as *neutral* as possible. The upper levels
should have very
few axioms.    (012)

JS > A truly neutral upper level should avoid any commitment to what is
considered essential vs. what is considered accidental.    (013)

CONFUSING STATEMENTS    (014)

JS > the upper level is much less important than the mid and lower levels.
Don't waste more time and money on things that don't matter.    (015)

LO > We explicitly choose to represent ontologies because we want a formal
representation, a >logical theory, about the things in the world (or even
possible or fictional or impossible things). Why, because logic is our best
tool for such.    (016)

LO > Ontology engineering does not focus on terminology, nor on the formal
semantics of >natural language, though of course those assist in the effort.
It does not focus on epistemology, >though that too is important. It focuses
on ontology.    (017)

LO > ...a series of increasingly expressive semantic models ranging from
flat terminologies to >taxonomies to thesauri to conceptual models to
logical theories.    (018)

LO > If you need precise semantics for your applications or services, then
you need
logical theories, i.e., high-end or strong ontologies.    (019)

With all due respect,
Azamat    (020)