Re: [OS-ERA] [ontac-forum] Re: Future directionsfor ontologiesand termin

To: Cory Casanave <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: SemanticCore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, 'ONTAC-WG General Discussion' <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, OS-ERA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Arun Majumdar <arun@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 23:05:21 -0500
Dear Cory,    (01)

1) Yes.  I strongly agree.    (02)

I have adapted a use-case from my work while reviewing the original text
at http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologyTaxonomyCoordinatingWG
  --- I have not interpreted the preceeding www accurately (and will
look at an update) but am supporting the path forward using Cory's
approach (i) Engineered artifacts like Use Cases and (ii) Embedding a
process or workflow oriented path forward (iii) that we figure out what
the final outcome would look like together.    (03)

My intention is to facilitate and to help, so the use case I wrote was
designed abstractly to support Cory's (while trying to map into the
intent as I understood it from
http://colab.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CosmoWG ) , hence "each actor" in
your use case would co-interoperate in the Process use case.  It means
that our largest gap is the "Stakeholders" category --- I think it is
still ill-defined (perhaps I am just not informed) --- we need to get a
bird's eye view from the folks that want to implement, to the folks that
want to theorize, to the folks that want to utilize the end results.    (04)

Notes to my diagram: User Features (ie. what feature would users like to
see in the solution --- ex. inter-operability as one feature might
translate to committment to a standard like Common Logic).    In the
case of the many ontologies that are suggested, the "User", "QA-Tester",
the "Solution" (ie. Tool or Method or Ontology), would need to be
documented beyond an inventoried listing -I believe it needs a deeper
use-case than what I have presented in support of Cory's use-case "Tool
Builder" --- for example, in a cooking recipe book, we never see just
ingredients that go into the dish (which presupposes that everyone
"knows" what the ingredient is and where it goes) but the intended
manipulations in order to create the dish and their origin (so, domain
ontologies must have operational semantics beyond classification
structures that need to somehow be annotated) --- hence, a notion of
"provenance" or "pedigree".     (05)

So, I strongly support your initiative and will do whatever I can to
help you succeed along this type of path forward. I invite you to
communicate with me offline for low level details or discussion as well
at your convenience as some issues (like what UML tool you are using so
we can synch up --- this may not be the most useful basis for bandwidth
consumption on this list).    (06)

2)  Yes, again, I strongly agree.
I would like to second support to this scenario and explore it in detail
further.  I am on a tight deadline on another matter, but, will return
to it in a couple of days because I *strongly* support the application
of use-cases (as you have done) seperate to text-only communications.     (07)

My early and perhaps premature comment, is that we have think about
what/who/how "Tool Builder" does/is/basis or provenance of methods (and
I imagine the different methods will be needed) and suggest for
considertation the use of Common Logic as formal means to document and
support content wihtin the use-case rubric (as per Cory's inititiative
herein).  I suggest to all that we have a look at ISO COMMON LOGIC as a
potentially useful notational framework within a UML process.    (08)

I hope my notes are helpful for as a starting point for constructive
critique or moving things forward.    (09)

Thanks,    (010)

Arun    (011)

Cory Casanave wrote:    (012)

GIF image