Re: [ontac-forum] Sowa's Collection of Modules

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 10:45:13 -0800
John,    (01)

You certainly make a strong case for the development of
"module-specific" ontologies
that are limited in scope to the information flow along communication paths.    (02)

However, it should be also very clear that the information flow ontology
for the communication between A and B is fundamentally dependent
on knowledge of what A and B do with that information.    (03)

This point seems rather obvious to me but I'm not sure how obvious it
may be to this group.
Perhaps your last example might help:    (04)

> As another example, the format of a date is critical, but it's
> irrelevant whether any system that uses the date applies the axioms
> of situation calculus or pi calculus or whether it uses a 3-D or
> a 4-D ontology for space and time.  Different systems could use
> different axioms internally.    (05)

If the information communicated from A to B includes a "date" for some
event that happened in system A,
then a 3D vs. 4D ontology for space/time could make a big difference
w.r.t. what that "date" means for system B.    (06)

If A is a sail-propelled spacecraft travelling at 1/2 light speed from
Earth to Alpha Centuri, (the closest star to Earth, about 4 light years
away)
and B is an operator on Earth receiving a message from A stating
something like: "A passed the mid-point between Earth & Alpha Centuri
July 4, 2020",
then this message would be vague w.r.t. the "Earth time" when A did pass
that mid-point. Did A measure it w.r.t. a clock onboard of the spacecraft?
If so, did it compensate for the effects of relativity on the rate at
which its clock advances? Does A makes instead all of its calculations
in terms
of Earth time?    (07)

I hope it is obvious that beyond the ontology behind the information
itself, there are other ontologies that are important
to make sure that all parties involved in the communication are
semantically aligned w.r.t. the meaning of that information.    (08)

However, the same argument John makes for modularizing the ontology of
information flow applies equally well to modularize
the ontology describing the use of that information by the systems
involved in the communication. We don't need to know everything
that Amazon does to communicate effectively w/ Amazon; however, we need
to have some knowledge about Amazon (e.g I can purchase
a bread-making machine; but, to the best of my knowledge about Amazon, I
wouldn't go to Amazon to purchase baked bread for dinner).    (09)

-- Nicolas.    (010)

John F. Sowa wrote:    (011)