Re: [ontac-forum] Semantic Interoperability: Sowa's Collection of Module

To: ONTAC-WG General Discussion <ontac-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Roberto Bordogna <bordogna@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:25:28 +0100
To achieve semantic interoperability with this approach, since we will
certainly have n-squared modules.    (01)

This is a well known problem in Economics.    (02)

In theory with N agents or systems,  (N)(N-1)/2  relations
will be needed to allow them to inter-operate.    (03)

Using a common token, only (N-1)  "links" are required (that is to say
using a star or nexus  topology of relations).      (04)

That's is why we generally use money (and not barter) for goods.    (05)

To continue with the economic  case,  comparing the N individual
systems  with national economies or banks, John Sowa's proposal is to
reduce the interoperability  problem  taking care of a subset of those
"transactions" that must interact with each other (in the
financial global market).    (06)

In this sense it is interesting the S.W.I.F.T. case, an organization for
worldwide financial transaction,  that work with Banks just thanks to
dedicated interface to every local information system (actually
Corporation as Oracle and the likes provide the software interface).
This Society for Worldwide  Interbank Financial  is a well established
*co-operative organization* created by banks to facilitate the exchange
of payments and other financial information between financial
institutions.      (07)

A SWIFT message therefore is an instruction to transfer some fund  from
some agent A to B, and appears very simple compared with the problem
that we are discussing here.    (08)

It is interesting to note that to create a unique payment system
across EU (for the Euro), several systems (RTGS real-time gross
settlement systems -  managed by every country Central National Bank)
across the continent had to be interconnected. I'm not up-to date with
the evolution of this project  (called TARGET), but from a report of the
European Monetary Institute (Frankfurt- Germany) it is possible to note
that several *organizational adaptations and *new practice* were
required as well to achieve  interoperability.      (09)

Bottom line: there are cases in the Financial market that seems to
support the modular approach. Practice harmonizations appears to be
required as well.  And a cooperative organization might re required.    (010)

Nevertheless  the  monetary system and the SWIFT case shows that a
unique TOP SYSTEM, is needed, as well.     (011)

Roberto Bordogna.    (012)

--
Studio Dr.Eng.Bordogna
Media  Engineering & Economics