ontac-dev

Re: [ontac-dev] Re: Before we start...

To: ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Nicolas F Rouquette <nicolas.rouquette@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 09:41:20 -0800
Arun, Chris:    (01)

In SpecWare (http://www.specware.org), there is one often used technique
that resembles the kind of metatheory you are talking about.
The principle is, roughly, to write a small specification that provides
an axiomatic theory of something; e.g., the concept of list, set, array,
etc...
and such specifications are used as "metatheories" by specifying axioms
regarding the existence of an isomorphism
between the "metatheory" specification (e.g., list, set, ...) to the
target "theory" which we claim to have the properties of the metatheory.    (02)

I believe that other systems like HetCASL (see:
http://www.brics.dk/Projects/CoFI/) do similar tricks.
The key point; however, is that the "metatheory" and "theory" are
written in the same "logic" which, if it isn't implemented "natively"
can also be mapped via isomorphism to a semantically equivalent form in
another language for which we have a decision procedure
or theorem prover (e.g., SpecWare encodes its "MetaSlang" logic into
SNARK's language at which point it can use SNARK's theorem prover
to reason (indirectly) about logic sentences in MetaSlang).    (03)

Is this the kind of approach that you are advocating Arun?    (04)

-- Nicolas.    (05)

Arun Majumdar wrote:    (06)