ontac-dev

[ontac-dev] Re: Before we start...

To: Cory Casanave <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Arun Majumdar <arun@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:47:49 -0500
Dear Cory,    (01)

My intended use in my language of the word "system" relates to "system
engineering" which, as I believe you also use the term (hope I am not
off track), is an abstraction not a technology, that determines what is
a system.  In software, I agree on MDA/OMG etc as well as the agent
based societal approaches.    (02)

Systems are structures
with unifying behavior.    (03)

I agree with the statement because the structural elements act together
in way that is purposeful --- chaotic systems (like the chemcial
systems) are also purposeful if we extend the notions of purpose to the
rules governing equilibria (ie. purpose is to reah equilibrium or steady
state).  Hence that suggests that all systems are subject to constraints
or equivalently, that they are parameterized by observables that are
either (i) visible or (ii) hidden.    (04)

I am interested in identifying methods, starting from ontologies, to
identify (ii) by using ontologies as indicators of gaps in knowledge
(not as interested in what successful ontologies do say but more about
what they don't say and *why*).  That is a purely research effort but I
wanted to indicate my motivations in that as developing methods (like
metaphors and anlogies) to help identify these gaps.    (05)

PS - I am now using the dev list for this (I hope this is appropo)    (06)

Thanks,    (07)

Arun
Cory Casanave wrote:    (08)