ontac-dev

RE: [ontac-dev] Type vs. Class et al.

To: "'ONTAC Taxonomy-Ontology Development Discussion'" <ontac-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 12:15:45 -0500
Hmmm.  Shades of email lists long long ago.    (01)

As for "concept" and your triangle, this is a more general concept than
class or type.  Typing and/or classifying things is a kind of concept
(trying not to get strung up by my own words here).  In other lexicons this
seems more like "statement" or "fact".  I find "fact" to assertive (many
statements are, at best, opinions).  Statement assumes a speech act - also a
valuable but more specific concept.  A term is also a concept!  So yes,
concept would seem a reasonable name for an atom of information.    (02)

Given class Vs. Type I would much prefer type, perhaps this is due to my
information systems background where a class is a factory for instances, not
just a kind of instance.  Type seems the more general and more precise
concept with a good match to human speak.  I thought this was getting
accepted, then OWL came out.    (03)

-Cory    (04)