etkn-forum

Re: [etkn-forum] FW: Climate Change Project info

To: <Jennifer.Boteler@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <etkn-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Marie.Manthe@xxxxxxxxx, SzolomK@xxxxxxxxxxxx, john.cherney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: <Amanda.Wilson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:28:26 -0400
Dear Jennifer,     (01)

I will answer the questions I can:    (02)

The USDOT Climate Change Clearinghouse is only interested in climate change as
it relates to transportation. There is an NCHRP project that is creating a
separate clearinghouse of climate change information housed on the USDOT's
climate change site, climate.dot.gov. There will be a separate section of the
site called "clearinghouse."    (03)

The clearinghouse is envisioned as a reference point for climate change
information related to transportation. Links to full text will be included if
the item is available freely on the web, but otherwise, bibliographic
information will be provided. NTL will be hosting the clearinghouse database.
Content is monitored by the USDOT Climate Change Committee. Items TKN members
submit will be reviewed by the committee.    (04)

In the latest iteration of the clearinghouse that I've seen, content has been
arranged by format (the items Jennifer listed, as well as policy and other
legislative actions).    (05)

As part of the NCHRP project, an initial literature search of existing
resources will be conducted to populate the clearinghouse. I think the date
range is 2002-2008.    (06)

When I say, The TKNs would address things from their organizations/states that
don't already appear or are included in some resource in the following list." I
meant that if a clearinghouse item is in one of the resources I listed at the
bottom of the previous page and is within the date range above, it's already
covered and will be covered into the future as part of our maintenance.
Therefore, there's one way to avoid duplication of effort.    (07)

Regarding the Task Force, a climate change portal was suggested as a project
for TKNs. To avoid duplication of effort, the decision was made to piggy-back
on the existing USDOT effort. Your questions about scope and expectations are
good ones for the TKN Task Force.    (08)

Regarding whether the entire project is a duplication of effort: the wheel is
already in motion for USDOT and NTL has been tasked with maintaining the
clearinghouse.     (09)

Hope this helps,
Amanda    (010)