etkn-forum

Re: [etkn-forum] FW: Climate Change Project info

To: <etkn-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Carol Paszamant" <Carol.Paszamant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:33:35 -0400
Ken et al.,    (01)

If I understand correctly, they just want us to check the resources within our
own states, which on the surface sounds reasonable, until you realize that it
might be difficult to know what other agencies (public and nonpublic) are doing
- sometimes we don't even know what our own Department is doing!  Keeping
current would be another issue, as new things are probably coming out all the
time.  Sounds like it would take a lot of networking, which could be a good
thing . . . it would appear to be a research project in and of itself, even if
a small subset of the larger NCHRP project.  For those of us with small staffs,
it could be burdensome.      (02)

That being said, it seems like a "good cause," and perhaps worth our effort,
even if we can never know if we're capturing all the resources that might
exist, and new ones in the process of becoming.  If we were to go ahead with
this, hopefully we would be counted as contributors!    (03)

By the way, I can think of some other organizations they might want to include
under their NGO/think tank/industry category, such as Greenpeace and the Sierra
Club . . .     (04)

Carol    (05)

Carol Paszamant, Librarian
NJ Dept. of Transportation
Research Library
1035 Parkway Ave.
PO Box 600
Trenton, NJ  08625-0600
609-530-5289  fax: 609-530-2052
carol.paszamant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx     (06)

>>> "Winter, Kenneth A." <Ken.Winter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 9/29/2008 2:05 PM >>>
Dear ETKN Members-    (07)

At last Thursday's conference call we discussed the request by the
AASHTO RAC Task Force on TKNs for our help (on a state by state basis)
to find information on climate change and funnel it to the National
Transportation library.    (08)

Ultimately, that information would be featured at this site, which is
scheduled to be unveiled in January 2008: http://climate.dot.gov/     (09)

When we last spoke, we discussed what we can do on a "volunteer" basis,
and especially the fact that the scope of the project and the extent of
the information needed was perhaps not as clear as it needed to be.    (010)

Amanda Wilson, director of the NTL, just sent me this, which starts to
clarify the information need.    (011)

My question to you: Is this something you care to work on between now
and January 2009?    (012)

Please feel free to respond to me on this listserv or off list.    (013)

I can relay your responses (not identities) to the appropriate parties
for feedback.    (014)

They may not understand the full nature of what they are asking, but
this gives you some insight into their thinking.    (015)

I am not advocating any specific course of action, but want to rely the
request on to you as individual libraries for response.     (016)

Please see message below.  Kathy Szolomayer and John Cherney are chairs
of the WTKN and MTKN, respectively.    (017)

Ken Winter, MLIS
Director of Library and Information Services
VDOT Research Library
530 Edgemont Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903
Ph: (434) 293-1959 FAX: (434) 293-4196
Email: Ken.Winter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Intranet: http://rclibrary     (018)