cuo-wg

Re: [cuo-wg] Interop Wider Technology Focus

To: "'common upper ontology working group'" <cuo-wg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Cory Casanave" <cbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 10:41:15 -0400
Sounds like SBVR, (http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?dtc/2006-03-02) is that what you use?

From: cuo-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cuo-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Adrian Walker
Sent: Sunday, October 22, 2006 10:31 AM
To: common upper ontology working group
Subject: Re: [cuo-wg] Interop Wider Technology Focus

Hi Marian --

Thanks for your comments, below.

Actually, I think we are more or less on the same page, in the sense that  we agree on the functionality that is required.  It's then just a question of agreeing on what kinds of things should live under the "ontology" umbrella [1].

We would be quite happy for our executable English business rules to be included under the heading "ontology" [2,3].  However, for many people, that's stretching the term a bit.

By the way, there's been a representation shift from the usual "simplified English" approach to the design of our system.  Our business rules are open vocabulary, and largely open syntax.   The approach is lightweight, and does not require dictionary maintenance, yet the English semantics are strict [2,4].  One can use the system to manage and reason about controlled vocabularies, but the vocabulary for the rules is unlimited.

I hope this makes sense.  If you'd like to chat about this off-list, please let me know.

                                                         -- Adrian

[1]  www.semantic-conference.com/program/sessions/S2.html

[2] www.reengineeringllc.com/A_Wiki_for_Business_Rules_in_Open_Vocabulary_Executable_English.pdf

[3]  www.reengineeringllc.com/demo_agents/OntologyInterop2.agent